Police Officer-Madison Police Department
The Madison Police Department is nationally recognized for its innovation and leadership. The Department is in the forefront of "trust-based" community policing, problem-solving and quality improvement. We are an organization "where individuals CAN and DO make a difference."
The Department wants to attract and retain men and women who reflect the diversity of the community. While Wisconsin Law requires us to accept applications from those over 18 years of age, successful applicants usually have educational and/or life experiences possessed by mature individuals. the profile of a "typical candidate hired by MPD is someone who has at least an associate's degree (60 college credits) and most have a bachelor's degree. Age range is from 22-45, but we have no upper age limit. Previous experience may include work in teach, social work, business, law enforcement, or a variety of other professions. We are by no means a "one size fits all" employer... we value the diversity of all academic, work, and life experience.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application per City Ordinance Sec. 62.13(4)(d)Stats.
- Be a US citizen by time of appointment
- High school graduate or possess a G.E.D High School Equivalency Diploma
- Possess a current driver's license and be eligible for a Wisconsin driver's license
- Met our occupational health standard
- No felony convictions (unless pardoned by the Governor of the State.) Domestic violence convictions are automatic disqualifies.
- No conviction record or pending charge which substantially relates to the work of a Police Officer.
- Our Academy usually runs from 8am-4pm, Monday-Friday. The Academy is not residentially based; at the end of the workday, recruits go to their own homes--- not a barracks or dormitory. The tone of our Academy endeavors to treat all our recruits as continuing adult learners. Those ultimately hired will receive extensive training in such area as law, crisis intervention, firearms,and use of community resources. The initial training lasts 4 months, and is one of the most comprehensive in the country. It is conducted in Madison under the direct supervision of the Madison Police Department Training Staff. It is not unusual for our newly-hired officers to have widely varying technical and non-technical skills. Our goal is to provide a base of training which builds on each individual's unique body of knowledge and expertise. As a recruit in training, full salary, and benefits apply.
How to apply:
You may access our application at the following website: www.madisonpolice.com, "Join the Team". You may receive an application by mail, please email (email@example.com) or by calling (608) 261-9815.
We want to recruit applicants who can communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. We need individuals who can enforce the law while protecting the constitutional rights of all. The Madison Police Department seeks committed individuals who want to work with a multi-cultural citizenry in improving our quality of life.